Monday, July 05, 2010

Hosea's Wife

“But then I will win her back once again.
I will lead her into the desert
and speak tenderly to her there.
I will return her vineyards to her
and transform the Valley of Trouble into a gateway of hope.
She will give herself to me there,
as she did long ago when she was young,
when I freed her from her captivity in Egypt.
When that day comes,” says the Lord,
“you will call me ‘my husband’
instead of ‘my master.’
O Israel, I will wipe the many names of Baal from your lips,
and you will never mention them again.
On that day I will make a covenant
with all the wild animals and the birds of the sky
and the animals that scurry along the ground
so they will not harm you.
I will remove all weapons of war from the land,
all swords and bows,
so you can live unafraid
in peace and safety.
I will make you my wife forever,
showing you righteousness and justice,
unfailing love and compassion.
I will be faithful to you and make you mine,
and you will finally know me as the Lord."
(Hosea 2:14-20)

When I prayed for peace and inexhaustible love, I was pointed out the story of Hosea. It's amazing how God used this man to save Israel. God told him to marry a prostitute - and that's got to be something. An odd situation to be in but God used his life to illustrate His love for the Israelites, that even if they chose to worship other gods, He remained faithful. Indeed, we have somehow been an 'Israelite' for a while. We get distracted by other things that keeps us on on our toes, that takes our eyes away from him. But the beauty of God's love is it invites us and sustains us.

My faithfulness is required. :)

No comments: