Saturday, January 16, 2010

Me Time, Or So They Say.

"Smart might have the brains, but stupid has the balls." The Diesel ad said so. I don't entirely agree to it, nor am I suggesting we be stupid. Just come to think of it, it's not all about being smart, you know, to fully experience life. You have to be both at some time.

Taken from "When I Don't Desire God" by John Piper, p. 156
1 Thessalonians 5:14-18,

Admonishing, encouraging, helping, being patient, not repaying evil for evil, seeking to do good to all - this is a fruit-bearing life. He is telling us to be like trees planted by streams of water that bring forth fruit. This is the effect of delighting in the Word of God in Psalm 1:3. Look at all these needy people draining you; the weak are depleting you. But you are called to encourage and help and be patient and not return evil for evil. In other words, you are called to have spiritual resources that can be durable and fruitful and nourishing when others are idle and fainthearted and weak and mean-spirited.

How? Where do we get the resources to love like that? Verse 16 answers, "Rejoice always." That corresponds to "delight" in Psalm 1. Presumably, this rejoicing is not primarily based on circumstances, but on God and his promises, because the people around us are idle and fainthearted and weak and antagonistic. This would make an ordinary person angry, sullen, and discouraged. But we are supposed to have our roots planted somewhere other than circumstance. The roots of our lives are supposed to be drawing up the nutriments of joy from a source that cannot be depleted - the river of God and his Word. The one who delights in the Lord is "like a tree planted by streams of water
."

Now why did this message struck me so much?

It's because of the fact that right now, away from my friends and unable to reach them, I feel alone. It feels as if there's nothing waiting for me when I go back to Manila. Suddenly, I feel lonely and friendless. The people I rely on for strength and emotional stability, for advices and company, I feel like they're not there anymore. As if I don't know them and they don't know me anymore. Sounds crazy, but this happened when I was still in a rut, and it scares me to think that it can all happen again, that everything good in my life could be taken away. And it would all be my fault because I pulled away from everyone for a while, and no one would understand why.

These are the lies I have to deal with.

I know Father, Your truth remains, and I root myself in your wisdom and promises. I ask you Jesus to fill me with your Spirit and with love, and accompany me at all times, that I would never ever feel alone. I pray that I would run out of reasons to pull away from everyone so I would cherish every living moment with them. And if I ever need to pull away, I hope they would understand. I look forward to the day that you would allow me to completely open my heart to your people and serve them in love. I know that You already provided me with the best, and that I don't need to fear anymore in losing my life. I declare this area of my life as under your control. You are my only resource, my source of strength and love, my refuge in times of sorrow. Thank you for being in my life, for sharing Your wonderful grace with me. Glory be to Your Name.





No comments: